Kindness Counts

AHS Students Celebrate Kindness

Alyssa Nixon

Freshman student Emma Bullard takes part in Wednesday’s dress up day to promote kindness. The theme for the day was “Round Up Some Kindness” and students were encouraged to sit with people other than good friends at lunch. The event is a weeklong celebration of the Great Kindness Challenge.

Chaarlee Hickman, Staff Reporter

Students at Alma High School will participate in the Great Kindness Challenge on February 3-7, to create a culture of kindness throughout the school.

On Monday of this week, students will be given a card with about 20 different acts of kindness on them. Throughout the week when they complete an act, the person they are kind to will sign their card confirming the act was completed. During lunches, the completed cards can be turned in and put into a drawing. Then on Friday school officials will draw for different prizes such as gift cards. 

“When we make a concerted effort to see how we can encourage and uplift others it builds relationships and community and creates a positive climate for the school and I think that’s the goal,” says AHS counselor, Manesseh Moore.

Pullquote Photo

When we make a concerted effort to see how we can encourage and uplift others it builds relationships and community and creates a positive climate for the school and I think that’s the goal”

— Manesseh Moore, AHS counselor

Dress up days have also been incorporated into this week. These are similar to those during Homecoming week.

“It makes it lighter happier; just something different especially in the middle of winter and make it as easy as possible for people to participate and an added layer of fun,” says Moore.

There will be prizes for best dressed everyday. The teachers will nominate students they see throughout the day and then there will be a panel that will determine who the winners are from those nominations. 

AHS administrators have never had a meeting with class officers before, so planning this Great Kindness week was something that they were able to really spearhead. Mr. Kirkendoll wanted to give the class officers a greater role in leadership within the school this year, and this week is giving them an opportunity to take the lead on things.

Officers will take to social media since so much bullying and anti-kindness goes on on social media. They will take the lead in posting kind things, recognizing kids who participate in this challenge, and how it makes a difference in other people. If you do post anything Moore asks you to tag it with the #Airedales are kind.

The Great Kindness Challenge is a national movement for elementary and high schools to celebrate kindness and to focus on acts of kindness “I know it’s just a week and hopefully it carries over from there it is just something that we can focus on and make sure that (students) understand that any small act of kindness can go a long way,” says Moore.