Students Experience Factory Work First Hand

Many Learn Stereotypes About the Work May No Longer be Valid

Back to Article
Back to Article

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Mia Cagle, Staff Reporter

Staff Writer Mia Cagle was able to attend a recent trip with AHS marketing students to ABB Motors and Mechanical in Fort Smith. She wrote the following article with a first-hand perspective of what students were able to experience and learn as a result of the trip. 

On October 11, 2019, some of Sherry Siler’s marketing students from Alma High School embarked on a very educational and mind-blowing adventure to ABB.

ABB is a Swiss-Swedish multinational corporation, that makes just about everything you could think of. Specifically, in Fort Smith they produce motors, which was actually way more interesting than you’d think. Student’s had the chance to ask questions, watch some of the building and producing of motors, and just learn the truth behind factory work.

Students were split into groups and given tours of the facility, giving them a chance to eliminate the clique stereotype placed on factories and their workers since the Industrial Revolution. Just like most, I believed that factories were dirty, hot and just back-breaking work. But ABB and other companies have managed to change that.

Just like most, I believed that factories were dirty, hot and just back-breaking work. But ABB and other companies have managed to change that”

— Mia Cagle, Staff Reporter and marketing student

At ABB information about work hours sounded oddly refreshing. Whether you’re first shift (6:45am – 2:45pm), second shift (2:45pm – 10:45pm), or third shift (10:45pm – 6:45am), you get paid for eight hours, even though you only work seven and a half. Workers get a thirty minute lunch break, PAID. And with all their technical advances, the back-breaking labor turns into doing your job and using a conveyor belt lowering the risk of injuries and putting production a step further.

ABB is truly one of a kind, supplying employees jobs without a college degree. But wait … get this, they pay for your college. Anyone looking to get a degree to up their pay and grow their education, gets the choice to get a college education paid for if they make Cs and higher throughout college. This is one of the many perks that come with working with ABB which is probably the reason most people work there for 12 to 15 years.

ABB is making factory work the future not the past, giving the new generation a new outlook while building a stronger community.