Musical Cast Involved in Finishing Touches

Cast and Crew Work to Perfect Their Performance of the Musical 1776

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mia Cagle, Staff Reporter

Airedale theater will be presenting the musical, 1776, December 5th-8th. The production is a relavated, humorous take on a very crucial time in American History. Since last year, when the musical was chosen and cast, there have been some minor changes done to improve the story plot and visuals the audience can expect to see.

“I love this musical, when I first watched this musical a few years ago I had no idea what it would be like. I assumed it would be boring, but I was pleasantly surprised. It’s a very captivating story,” said Danny Hobson, AHS theater teacher and director of the musical.

Pullquote Photo

I love this musical, when I first watched this musical a few years ago I had no idea what it would be like. I assumed it would be boring, but I was pleasantly surprised”

— Danny Hobson, Airedale Theater

The show will now include a lot of present day elements like “founding fathers” wearing jeans or not looking exactly like their characters, as well as the new addition to the theater, a rotating stage.

The musical will include female theater students playing male founding fathers. It will also have teenage students playing teenage students pretending to be founding fathers … meaning Benjamin Franklin is not going to be bald and Thomas Jefferson may not have red hair … that’s not what their really going for. Hobson says they want to tell an important story in as entertaining and fun way as possible.

At this point with the show only a few weeks away they are working on the final scene and perfecting their choreography.