The Egg That Shook the Internet

Local Reaction to National Egg Attention

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Egg That Shook the Internet

What do AHS students think about the egg?

Mia Cagle created graph

Mia Cagle created graph

Mia Cagle created graph

Mia Cagle, Staff Writer

For years the fight for overnight fame has crowded the web, from posting everything such as your freshly brewed Starbucks drink to a selfie, captioned “live love life” (or something else inspiring yet well over used). But one individual shows us all up by becoming a overnight star for something as random as a egg, yes an EGG. @world_record_egg in just a short few weeks has achieved the label “Most liked Instagram picture”. On January 4th, 2019 the egg made its appearance on Instagram with a caption stating, “Let’s set a world record together and get the most liked post on Instagram. Beating the current world record held by Kylie Jenner (18 million)! We got this”.

After discovering how big of a deal this new Instagram star was, even in such a small town as Alma Arkansas, it was time to get some student opinions on the matter. 66.67% of the 57 Alma students questioned said they liked the egg’s photo. While 33.33% in fact did not. Who would’ve known that something as simple as a stock photo of an egg would be such a controversial topic among high school students.

“Honestly I just thought it was funny,” claims a sophomore, Maison Atwell.

Many other students had the same reaction, only liking this image because everyone else was. “It’s stupid, it’s literally just a photo of an egg. A EGG.” States a freshman, Tiana Blythe (whom seemed quite annoyed with the overall topic of the egg photo).

This Instagram superstar may have stolen the hearts, and likes, of many people but not everyone was so apathetic to this Instagram accounts goals. Alma students, Instagram-likers, and even Kylie Jenner herself have been surprised by the quick up roar of this ingenious account’s productivity and focus to accomplish one goal, be #1.