On A “Power Trip”

Alma DECA Local and State Officers Attend Baltimore Conference

Back to Article
Back to Article

On A “Power Trip”

Alma DECA members Austin Cluck and Josephine Meinardus pose for a picture with advisor Sherry Siler at a National DECA conference in Baltimore, Maryland.

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Sherry Siler, Austin Cluck, Josephine Meinardus, Guest Writers (Submitted Story)

DECA, Inc. hosted the annual Power Trip, November 15-18, 2018, in the historic city of Baltimore, Maryland. This educational leadership conference is for DECA members who are located in the North-Atlantic and Southern Regions.

Featured keynote speakers were John Beede and A’ric Jackson, who inspired the attendees to pursue their goals and dreams.

Attending from Alma DECA were Josephine Meinardus and Austin Cluck, along with their DECA advisor Sherry Siler.

“I have attended the Power Trip three times now, and I have had a blast every time, but this time I went wearing a different badge–Arkansas DECA State President. This is different because instead of just participating in the conference I was able to help run part of it! The Arkansas DECA state officer team conducted a leadership lab for attendees to learn about teamwork and working through
unexpected obstacles.”

Meinardus said she loved exploring the city of Baltimore and that her favorite spots were the Baltimore Museum of Art as well as the Edgar Allen Poe’s house and grave.

Cluck shared, “The Power Trip had amazing speakers and presentations this year, but my favorite session had to be the one to teach about destressing. As a busy person, I find every way possible to do so, but there were a few tips that I am excited to experiment with! I also really enjoyed the closing speaker who kept pushing the fact that we need to be us and not to apologize for being us!”

“My favorite site to visit was Fort McHenry. Fort McHenry is known as the birthplace of the Star-Spangled Banner, our national anthem, however it is much more than that. After the British fleet had burned down the White House (in the war of 1812), they came North up the coast and into Chesapeake Bay, at the Heart of Maryland. This bay was used primarily for transportation of goods, however, it
allowed the British naval superpower closer to one of our most prominent cities. The bombardment on Fort McHenry was long and brutal, but our men stood strong and saved what could have been the end of our country. This was one of many historical presences within the city of Baltimore,” stated Cluck.

Cluck added, “At the Opening Session, our keynote speaker, John Beede, has conquered the highest mountains on every continent, and inspired us to find our summit, and to attack it, regardless of things not going our way. Personally, this hit me right in the gut and was the greatest take away from this trip. However, there were many sessions and booths I attended during the Power Trip, which also gave me alternate perspectives on project management, marketing, and other useful tips. Overall, this was one of my favorite educational conferences, and I can’t wait for the next one!”

In addition to conducting a learning lab for DECA members to attend from the two regions, Meinardus and Cluck were also special guest presenters in the Professional Learning Lab Series that Mrs. Siler presented to chapter advisors from the two regions. Mrs. Siler’s session was covering the topic of Advocacy and how to complete the Advocacy DECA Chapter Campaign. Meinardus and Cluck
provided first-hand experience of how student leaders organize and implement a campaign. This provided the chapter advisors who attended insight into planning their own chapter’s advocacy campaign and making it a reality. “I was one proud advisor,” said Siler, “Josephine and Austin gave a fantastic first-hand account of
how they plan our chapter’s Advocacy campaign. I believe hearing the student voice, and how the advocacy campaign is possible to complete, motivated other chapter advisors to complete their own campaigns too.”

The 2019 DECA Power Trip will be held in Washington DC, November 14-17, 2019. At this educational conference, Alma DECA members attending will participate in Hill Visits with Arkansas’s congressional delegation as well as the conference activities.

For more information, visit www.deca.org and follow @AlmaDECA on Twitter.

• On A “Power Trip”

News

The World’s A Stage

• News

Students Tour Campus

• On A “Power Trip”

News

Attention To Detail

• On A “Power Trip”

News

New Club Gives Back

• On A “Power Trip”

News

Intervention Replaces Remediation