Intervention Replaces Remediation

New Program Takes AIM at Alma High School

Chaarlee Hickman, Staff Writer

Alma School District will soon be implementing AIM, formerly referred to Response To Intervention, at Alma High School for students to earn higher levels of learning.

AIM stands for Airedale IMprovement, which is just what Alma High School Assistant Principal, Nick Spencer, aspires for this new year at AHS.

“Our goal is … for all of our graduates to have choices when they graduate so they can follow their dreams or their passions, whatever they’re passionate about, what they want to do, that they had the academic and social skills to do that.” said Spencer.

Our goal is … for all of our graduates to have choices when they graduate so they can follow their dreams or their passions, whatever they’re passionate about, what they want to do, that they had the academic and social skills to do that”

— Nick Spencer, Alma High School Assistant Principal

School officials plan to have AIM centered around students. There are teams of teachers for core classes (English, math, science, social studies) who focus on learning and focus on all of their kids. Alma will do interventions instead of “remediation”. They will do this to try to help a situation before it is too late.

Two weeks before the scheduled AIM days teachers in core classes will give their students  an assessment to assess a skill that they’re trying to teach. Then, after they have all of their scores back, they will “draft” students that don’t understand that skill as well as the other students. Each core class will have a priority during a certain week.

However, not everyone will have to be in intervention. These students will choose a certain enrichment activity that will be available to attend that week. These activities will change each week and teachers are responsible for hosting/planning an activity.

Enrichment classes may include activities such as cooking classes, basic auto care, driver’s education, ACT prep, career planning, learning sign language, art classes, learning how to write cursive the list could go on forever.

“All students have the opportunity and responsibility to learn both academically and personally in pursuit of becoming successful adults,” says Spencer.

AIM will be held for two consecutive days, every ten days, for 40 minutes each day. So there will be a different schedule that will be used for AIM but just for those two days, the rest will be normal scheduling. This is also why the regular bell schedule has changed, so that there will be room for the rearranged AIM schedule and so that core teachers have the same planning period.

Spencer is hoping school officials will have AIM ready to go by the end of October, and believes this will lead into higher levels of learning.

AIM is not just happening at AHS; it is also happening district-wide. AIM isn’t a new thing, as it has been trending several years on a national level. Although, for the last two or three years, AHS has been evolving into this model of teaching, said Spencer.

• Intervention Replaces Remediation

News

On A “Power Trip”

• Intervention Replaces Remediation

News

The World’s A Stage

• News

Students Tour Campus

• Intervention Replaces Remediation

News

Attention To Detail

• Intervention Replaces Remediation

News

New Club Gives Back