Thespians Attend State Competition

State Competition Results Lead to Nationals Bid for Several Alma Thespians

Members of Alma's delegation to the Arkansas State Thespian Festival pose before performing their group scene at the competition.

Carole Medlock, newspaper adviser

Carole Medlock, newspaper adviser

Nathan Painter, Staff Writer

Alma school district’s theater program had several students participate in the Arkansas State Thespian Festival this past February 9th and 10th.

Those who moved on to the next round include Claudia Filippetti and Israel Jackson along with Elite Tech Team, the Pacmules.

These students will be traveling to the International Thespian Festival in Lincoln, Nebraska from June 25th to June 30th.

Alma also had a student win a Thespian Festival exclusive scholarship. This award extends well past the theater program. The student who won a scholarship is Loren Smither and the award is called the Lisa Areys Scholarship.  

Those who participated went through extensive practice routines to gain a spot in their category. Students were given, on average, two weeks to prepare a piece for whatever category they would like to participate in and then perform it to the class. Danny Hobson, theater instructor at AHS,  Brooke Brewer, dance instructor and Mat Whitworth, choir teacher  then decided who was selected for each category.

Fundraising is the next area of focus for those who moved on and will attend the national festival. In the upcoming months there will be multiple fundraising opportunities throughout our school that the drama department will be participating in. A movie night in the Performing Arts Center is one example of a fundraising that they will be organizing. Hobson said that if this event goes well he would like to make it a monthly event.

For those involved, the festival was an experience unlike any other. Hobson stated that for the majority that were involved, this was their first thespian festival.

One of Alma’s foreign exchange students, Claudia Filippetti, expressed her joy with the experience.

“It was amazing, it was a new experience, I have never done anything like this. Schools in Italy don’t offer things like this and it was all new and exciting to me,” Filippetti said.

It was amazing, it was a new experience, I have never done anything like this. Schools in Italy don’t offer things like this and it was all new and exciting to me”

— Claudia Filippetti

Her experience is not abnormal; for many, their experience was much the same. Other students in attendance spoke very highly of their experience and the friends they made through the program.

The theater program is in need of support if they want to keep doing things such as Thespian Festival, the fall play and dance show. If you’re interested in participating in some way, run by room 211 and talk to Mr Hobson.

• News

Intervention Replaces Remediation

• Thespians Attend State Competition

News

Teacher Transitions

• Thespians Attend State Competition

News

Yearbook Staff Makes Plans for the Year

• Thespians Attend State Competition

News

Musical Auditions to take Place

• Thespians Attend State Competition

News

DECA Students Take Atlanta