School Celebrates National Cheer Title

Alma High School cheerleaders pose with their

Alma High School cheerleaders pose with their "white jackets" after winning the national title in Orlando, Fla. The team competed nationally after being named Arkansas State Champions in December.

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Chaarlee Hickman, Staff Writer

Alma High School students attended a pep rally in the arena Tuesday to welcome home the Alma High School cheerleaders following a national championship win.

The pep rally began with a cheer from the student body while the cheerleaders ran in from below. The band played our Alma Mater and the students swayed and clapped along.

The Airwaves Media team then showed a video showcasing the cheerleaders hard and dedicated work. The student body all clapped for the cheerleaders as they were introduced one by one by Christy Law, AHS Cheer Coach.

Alma Mayor Keith Green congratulated the cheerleaders on their hard work and proclaimed Tuesday Alma Cheerleader day for the town of Alma. After that the junior high cheerleaders presented the cheerleaders with roses and Mr. Valentine, Alma High School Principal, gave the cheerleaders pins to honor their accomplishment.

“I am just really proud of what our girls accomplished because it shows our students that this is feasible, it is possible, and it can be obtained.” said Valentine.

They didn’t just waltz into the national competition; they worked really hard to achieve that goal. They had to compete in three preliminary competitions before they could go to state. They’re state competition was in Hot Springs in December and in order to be able to go to nationals, per Alma School rules, the cheer team had to win at state level.

“The girls were working all the time on perfecting their routine. The girls went over and over the routine to make it perfect so it really took a whole lot of work.” said Law.

At nationals there are two rounds: a preliminary round and then a final round. First you have to compete in the preliminary round and the judges take the top 18 to the final round. Then the final round consists of an opening dance, music section, crowd leading cheer, and then a closing dance section.

“We used a lot of their props to incorporate the crowd and to get them on their feet basically anything that you would see at a Friday night football game is what we incorporated into our routine.” Law said.

They weren’t cheering the whole time though. They had a bit of free time to go to the parks at Disney World. They also practiced on a famous football field that all the cheerleaders go to and practice. Plus they watched a lot of the competitions just to learn and gain new experiences from.

The cheer team was up against 17 teams and their hard work paid off when they won the National competition.

“It was the most exciting feeling ever. First I screamed, then I cried. We were just in total shock. I just couldn’t believe it. We had just been working so hard all year and for all of that hard work to finally pay off it was really exciting.” explained Coach Law.

Pullquote Photo

It was the most exciting feeling ever. First I screamed, then I cried. We were just in total shock. I just couldn’t believe it. We had just been working so hard all year and for all of that hard work to finally pay off it was really exciting”

— Christy Law, Alma High School Cheerleading Coach

The cheer team celebrated by going to a celebration party afterwards which was in Hollywood Studios in Disney World. There was a DJ and a dance party and they were able to ride Rockin Roller Coaster and the Tower of Terror, two rides at the park. They celebrated all night until the party was over at 2 am.

When they were at the competition the judges gave the cheerleaders white national championship jackets; that’s all the winners get, and gold medals.

“I am so thankful for the Alma School District for giving us this opportunity, a lot of school districts don’t allow their kids to compete nationally, and if it weren’t for our administrators then we wouldn’t of had the chance,” Law said.

• School Celebrates National Cheer Title

News

Musical Auditions to take Place

News

DECA Students Take Atlanta

News

Thespians Attend State Competition

• News

Students Prep for ACT

News

Students and Teachers Observe CTE Month

News

History Day Helps Students

News

Band Members Compete for Honor

News

Drug Testing Well-Established at Alma High School

• News

The Twelve Days of Giving – Day 6

News

The Twelve Days of Giving – Day 5