Students and Teachers Observe CTE Month

A Month of Activities Raise Awareness About Career and Technical Education Track

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students and Teachers Observe CTE Month

Alma Mayor Keith Greene and Austin Cluck, Alma DECA VP of Finance declaring February CTE Month in the City of Alma.

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Nathan Painter, Staff Writer

Career and Technical Education classes at Alma HIgh School are observing CTE month to celebrate the program which provides students the opportunity to take classes which will prepare them for the future.

According to Sherry Siler, the DECA Advisor and the Marketing Education Instructor, the primary premise of CTE is to improve a student’s educational experience by providing meaningful and relevant curriculum based around future success in the job market or in the pursuit of a college education.

Many classes in the CTE area are also designed to combat poor leadership within our nation, according to the CTE website.

President of Finance for the Alma DECA program, Austin Cluck, said CTE encompasses any classes that prepares you for the future.

Classes such as social media, computer business applications, marketing or Small Business Operations, sports medicine, family and consumer sciences, Orientation to Teaching, broadcasting, engineering, NJROTC, and others all fall under this umbrella.

At AHS, CTE month entails a week long question and answer that takes place over the intercom every morning with the winner receiving a prize. Students submit their answers in the marketing room if they wish to participate. Cluck said the Q&A is meant to encourage students throughout the school to participate in the CTE experience.

High school students have the opportunity to become CTE Completers in 8 different areas of focus: Engineering, FACS, Marketing, ROTC, Social Media, Sports Medicine, Teaching, and TV Production. Becoming a completer is beneficial because they have an advantage on their resume, they get a seal on their diploma, cords at graduation, and the number of completers in an area helps get grants and funding for their area of study

Manesseh Moore, the Alma High School Counselor, said there are many ways students can benefit from taking classes that are a part of the CTE program.

“CTE gives students opportunity to learn about themselves and their interests and to prepare for the future,” said Moore.

Pullquote Photo

CTE gives students opportunity to learn about themselves and their interests and to prepare for the future”

— Manesseh Moore, Alma High School Guidance Counselor

A key benefit for students taking CTE classes is that students gain exposure and experience geared towards the job market. In addition, students are eligible for CTE scholarships which have a primary focus on those who take part in CTE classes.

CTE prepares students for the future. Moore said awareness promoted by CTE month is important and that students should take part.

• Students and Teachers Observe CTE Month

News

On A “Power Trip”

News

The World’s A Stage

• News

Students Tour Campus

News

Attention To Detail

News

New Club Gives Back