Band Members Compete for Honor

Several Band Students Successful with Bid for All-Region Band

Nathan Painter, Staff Writer

The Alma High School Band program recently had 29 members who made All-Region band in Region VIII of the Arkansas School Band and Orchestra Association. Auditions took place on January 13th, at Southside High School in Fort Smith.

Approximately 1,000 students from across the region participated in the audition process. The process included one section from a technical piece of music, one section from a lyrical piece of music, three scales from memory, sight reading, and a technical exercise.  

Students who auditioned could be placed in one of three bands: Wind Symphony, Symphonic, or Concert band (in ranked order).

Alma band students taking private lessons were required to audition. But other band students were welcome to audition as well.

Students auditioning were provided a four page packet that included all the music needed for auditions. All the music played in auditions (except sight reading) came from the packet.

All-Region music must be perfected outside of school and band students are typically assisted by their lesson teacher. The difficulty level of the music demands advance practice by students in order to be successful. So there is an extensive practice routine for those who make All-Region.

The audition experience is different for everyone involved. This was many of our band members first exposure to the auditioning process.

Caleb Wormke, a senior clarinet, answered some questions about his experience with all region.

Q – “Have you ever done all region prior to last Saturday?”

A – “Nope”

Q- “Did you enjoy the experience of all region?”

A – “Not really, I mean it was fun spending the whole day with my friends but the auditions were extremely nerve racking and stressful”

Q – “Did it make the auditioning process harder by being in such a different environment?”

A – “Oh yeah, the way your instrument sounds in a classroom is soooo different compared to the band room.”

Q – “And finally, what was your favorite part of the day?”

A – “Getting to spend the day with some of my friends, I mean I would have rathered stay home but I did enjoy the time with (other band members).”