Twelve Days of Giving – Day 4

Submitted Photo

Members of First Priority pose in the Alma High School union where their chili supper fundraiser was held.

Grace Peters, Staff Writer

Organization: First Priority

First Priority Head Member: Jade Villines

Community Service Act: Chili Supper, Children’s Hospital Visit

Q: Explain your community service project and tell me when it took place (or if it is yet to happen when will it take place …)

A: “ Well, we did a chili supper December 2 to raise money to pay for a family’s Christmas. We had a silent auction and a pie auction there as well. We are going to use that money to go shopping together for the family we are buying for.”

“At the end of the year we are taking a trip to Arkansas Children’s Hospital to pass out coloring books to ill children and visit with them.”

Q: Why did you choose this particular project/activity for your club to be involved in?

A: “It was an event that we could not only benefit from, but reach our community with and become closer with our fellow classmates as an organization.”

Q: How do you think the students in your club benefit from participating in community service?

A: “Well, community service is good for the students because they learn how to do positive things for our community when a lot of times it is so easy to do negative things. It’s good for them because it teaches them to do good things for others but they get to have fun while doing so, so you really can’t go wrong with community service.”

Q: How did students react to giving their time/efforts to others?

A: “They all seemed eager to participate, but there were a few people who really went out of their way to help make this event successful.”

Q: How did the community or organization that you helped react to the involvement by AHS students, or how do you feel they will react?

A: “Well considering the response last year, I’m positive they will be overjoyed. Receiving an unexpected Christmas in a time of need would be an amazing blessing, and one that some aren’t fortunate to have, but thanks to our group and faculty we have done just that!”