School Custodian Takes Pride In Job

Jasmine Recinos, Staff Writer

Touria Sakine is a custodian at Alma High School from Morocco. She has worked here for seven years, having started in 2010. She loves her job, enjoys cleaning, and loves all the students and teachers at AHS.

Sakine said when she started at AHS she knew absolutely no English, but that didn’t stop her. The staff and the principals here helped her a lot, showing her and explaining to her what exactly needed to be done. Over time, by listening to teachers and students talking in the hallways, and listening to people when she ate breakfast, she learned how to speak some English. Also, her husband, who is American, helped her as well.

The worst things she has to clean are the messes kids make in the restrooms, Sakine said, but in general it doesn’t bother her too much.

“This is your job. When people complain about kids, I hate that. Here you are walking behind kids. If kids weren’t here, I can’t have this job,” Sakine said.

The thing she likes about her job is when everything is clean. She said a clean area makes her feel happy and she loves the feeling that she did everything well and got it all clean. She also enjoys all the compliments from students and from teachers.

Sakine works five days a week from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. She has a 30 minute break for lunch and breaks throughout the day on and off, depending on how busy she is. Overall, there is not set schedule, custodians break when they are able. One of Sakine’s responsibilities is locking each one of the school’s doors before 6 p.m.

Sakine said she loves the people and the school, and LOVES her job.

• School Custodian Takes Pride In Job

Features

Prom Time

• School Custodian Takes Pride In Job

Features

Alma Student Initiates Change

• School Custodian Takes Pride In Job

Features

Alma Teacher Makes a Difference

• School Custodian Takes Pride In Job

Features

Teachers Expand Classroom Libraries

• School Custodian Takes Pride In Job

Features

Game Encourages Creativity in Art Students