Theater Department Sells Ads

Drama Teacher Plans for Ad Sales to Support Student Travel

Jaden Petree, Staff Writer

Danny Hobson, Alma High School’s drama teacher, implemented selling advertisement this year to encourage community support for the theater program. The ads will be displayed in a full color program available at the school’s public performances of Emma.

The first public performance of Emma is Thursday at 7 p.m. Additional performances will be Saturday at 7 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. There are also several daytime performances for students from area schools.

Hobson stated that the theater program is looking for ways to raise money, and since other theater programs from around the state sell advertising, he thought it would be a great idea. The parents of theater students were provided the opportunity to purchase a personal ad in the program, and local businesses were offered the opportunity to advertise their services.

Hobson said that 100 percent of the proceeds will go to helping send students to the State Thespian Festival at Arkansas State University and Greene County Tech in February. If the AHS theater program qualifies, they will then go to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in June for the International Thespian Festival.

The International Thespian Festival is a week long immersion into the arts specifically for high-achieving middle and high school drama students and their teachers. It helps set the standard for participatory educational theater experiences; ITF broadens horizons, enriches learning, and celebrates the creativity of theater students and educators, according to the ITF website.