News of the Airedales

PawPrint

Library Arrangement Gets a Facelift

Library Officials to Sort Books by Genre in an Effort to Encourage Students to Read

A student at Alma High School looks at a book in the school's library. Books will soon be organized by genre instead of the Dewey Decimal system that has been in place for so many years.

Elysia Crawford

Elysia Crawford

Elysia Crawford, Staff Writer

The Alma High School library is adopting a new system. It’s splitting from the old and well-known Dewey Decimal System into something more student friendly.

The Dewey Decimal System is the most used library system for classifying books, but AHS has found a much more convenient way to sort the books.

The new system for our library consists of sorting books by genre, not by author. And each genre will be color coded, which makes it more convenient for the students and the library workers. The books will be sorted into many different genres, such as classics, mystery and suspense, realistic, STEAM, supernatural and horror, and many more, said Scott Treece, media specialist at AHS.

Pullquote Photo

Our goal is for more high school students to become readers”

— Mary Beth McCourt, Alma High School Librarian

The Alma Intermediate School and Alma Middle School have already made the system switch, and Alma High School is next to hop onto the bandwagon.

Many high school students are lazy and don’t feel like browsing through the entire fiction section, not knowing where they’ll find their next read. But with the new system, students will be able to head right to their favorite genre and grab a book.

The new system will make it easier for students to find and check out books that they will love. And hopefully the students will keep coming back and checking out more and more books.

“Our goal is for more high school students to become readers” said Mary Beth McCourt, AHS librarian.

The switch isn’t going to be easy, says McCourt. They have been working on it daily and hope to have it done by Christmas. It will take many hours and lots of hard work, but in the end it will be worth it.

• News

High School Students Use Program to Prepare for College

• Library Arrangement Gets a Facelift

News

Alma NJROTC Honors Naval Day

• Library Arrangement Gets a Facelift

News

Alma FCA Hosts ‘Fields of Faith’

• Library Arrangement Gets a Facelift

News

Registration for ACT Prep Sessions Open

• Library Arrangement Gets a Facelift

News

Yearbooks On Sale at AHS

• Library Arrangement Gets a Facelift

News

Homecoming A Success

• Library Arrangement Gets a Facelift

News

Students Celebrate Spirit Week

• Library Arrangement Gets a Facelift

News

Students Attend College and Career Fair

• News

School Offers Free Breakfast

• Literary Magazine

Thanksgiving

News of the Airedales
Library Arrangement Gets a Facelift