School Offers Free Breakfast

Alma High School joins district's free breakfast program

Elysia Crawford, Staff Writer

On September 5th, Alma High School began their new free breakfast program.

This program offers all students free breakfast every single morning. A student can still go to the union and grab some breakfast as usual, but now it’s free of charge.

Not only is the breakfast free for every student, but there is also a new “Grab & Go” option. You get two different breakfast options, a hot and a cold breakfast. A student can pick one up and just head to class. It’s very efficient for a student on the go.

“We just want to make sure that every student is fed and ready to take on their day.” said Debbie Stewart, School Nutrition expert and Director for the Alma School District.

Pullquote Photo

We just want to make sure that every student is fed and ready to take on their day.”

— Debbie Stewart, Alma School District Nutrition Expert and Director

Many students already had the option of free breakfast. In fact, 50% of students qualify for free or reduced breakfast/lunches. But the Alma School Board decided that it was time to completely stop charging for breakfast, so that food is always available no matter your income.

This program is finally in place in every school in the district, making sure every student of every age has the opportunity to have a free breakfast.

Stewart also stated that they are hoping to set a new after school snack program into motion within the next few years.