News of the Airedales

PawPrint

Students Get “Buggy” With It

Foods and Wellness Students Sample Interesting Cuisine

Students in Foods and Wellness pose with bugs they are about to eat as a part of lesson in protein.

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Leia Porter, Staff Writer

In a lesson intended to highlight protein sources, students in one Alma High School classroom recently had an unusual experience.

Students in Mrs. Blackwell’s Nutrition and Wellness class ate bugs. Some of the students didn’t want to try the bugs, but as soon as they saw other students participating they gained confidence and tried some for themselves.

Some of the bugs sampled were grasshoppers and mealworms.  There were certain flavors to the bugs, including barbeque, honey mustard and ranch. Students also had chocolate chip cricket cookies.They were made with cricket flour that was purchased from Amazon.

“I loved this lesson because they were able to try weird and gross things,” said Blackwell. She added that the lesson showed students about the proteins that are in the bugs.

In fact, 80 percent of the world’s population eats bugs; examples of places that bugs are eaten include Thailand, Ghana, Mexico, China, Brazil, Australia, Japan, the Netherlands and even the USA, according to a U.S. News and World Report travel story.

Spencer Mitchell, a junior student in Blackwell’s fourth period class said, “I have eaten bugs before but found them rather jaded though.” Spencer added information about how crickets are better for the digestive system and have better protein than some meats like the ground beef you get at the store.

Randall Baker, also a junior, was not into eating the bugs whatsoever. Randall said he first thought the bugs would be nasty. He said his experience with the crickets was like potato chips when it came to texture. He added that when he ate the mealworms they tasted like salted peanuts. Randall thought that the class would react the same way he did, but some seemed excited and some did not.

• News

School Offers Free Breakfast

• Uncategorized

Brooke Friddle

• Students Get “Buggy” With It

Uncategorized

Matthew McNally

• Students Get “Buggy” With It

Uncategorized

Jasmine Recinos

• Uncategorized

Geneva Polk

• Students Get “Buggy” With It

Uncategorized

Grace Peters

• Uncategorized

Jaden Petree

• Uncategorized

Elyssa Mansell

• Uncategorized

Elysia Crawford

• Uncategorized

Logan Guerra

News of the Airedales
Students Get “Buggy” With It