City of Bones

City of Bones

Blake Crook, Student Contributor

The Mortal Instruments – City of Bones, a classic demons vs. the world book. Do not get me wrong. I loved the book. But it is a classic story line that has a twist to it. Just to give it that extra flare that it needed. The author Cassandra Clare did a wonderful job writing the book and an excellent character development of Clary Fray and her friend Jace. These are the main character in the book. They are Shadowhunters, but Clary does not know that till later in the book.
Clary Fray is a simple girl from a divorced mother. She and her mother now live in an apartment with Clary’s mother’s boyfriend. This boyfriend is a police officer. But Clary’s mother always had this secret that she hid from Clary. It was that she was a Shadowhunter. She only finds this out when her mother is kidnapped by Valentine, (a Shadowhunter turned bad by power). Clary meets Jace before Clary knew that she was a Shadowhunter. Once Clary’s mother is kidnapped, Clary and Jace and some other Shadowhunters who are very close to Jace, go on a quest to get Clary’s mother back. There is also Clary’s friend Simon who comes with them (he is normal for most of the book).
It was a good book, and the plot was very well put together, with some twist and turns. There were also elements that you will never suspect would happen, but you will have to read the book to find those out, from the beginning of her being normal to the end, (if you do not want the end spoiled, skip this part). At the end of the book, they all fight a very mysterious, strong and huge demon. They do beat the demon, and they end the book. They kind of leave you on the edge for the next book.
Overall, I loved the book. Ten out of ten. The author deserves a lot of credit for the whole novel; she did a great job. Like I said, the plot and character development was wonderful. If you have the chance and you like fantasy books, I would recommend this book to you.