The Lost Code

The Lost Code

Taylor Burress, Student Contributor

I read the book The Lost Code by Kevin Emerson. He sets the stage by quoting an ancient prophecy with importance throughout the book. The author then continues on to introduce our protagonist, Owen Parker, a young man who is staying in the last place safe on earth, a summer camp. In this book, Earth has been ravaged by rising oceans, a destroyed ozone and the sun is a daily enemy. The few safe places that still remain are called the Eden domes which are used as camps for those who can afford to send their kids there or if you just get lucky enough to get a scholarship. Another way you can get into the camps is if you were cryogenically frozen while the Earth was still livable but failing. Owen got a scholarship because through a screening process they saw that he might be a descendant of the Atlanteans. If you are an Atlantean, you were a much more advanced species of humans with more advanced technology and even more advanced characteristics.
Owen meets five others who share the same characteristics, and they begin to discover the mysterious remains of the camp from when the Vikings were there. I thought that it was very interesting the way that they portrayed the other characters who were Atlanteans or at least had some DNA from the Atlanteans. Evan and Lilly seemed to be the leaders of their group, while Marco and Aliah seemed to follow them. They lost a member of their group when she got sick and had to go to the “hospital,” when, in reality, she was being tested on by the leaders of the camp. I thought the author did a fantastic job with foreshadowing to let the readers know that something was amiss with the camp and especially the antagonist, Paul.
The author ended the story with twists at every turn. First, they discover the other Atlanteans who had been taken to the “hospital” and had to unhook all of them so they could die and not be in pain anymore. The camp nurse dies and gives them time to escape, all the while setting them up for failure when, Aaron, who she said to trust, betrays them in the end when he tries to give Lilly to Paul. Paul wanted them to surrender so he could be closer to discovering Atlantean secrets. Owen navigates their ship, gets Lilly back and they fly away to discover their heritage. This book has you questioning everything as it takes you on a thrill ride to discover the answer to humanity’s problem. It is a fantastic dystopian novel which has amazing science and awesome characters you will love.