What Stresses You Out?

Aracely Morales, Staff Writer

Stress: a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or very demanding circumstances. A six letter word in which every high schooler in America can relate to. And a six letter word that can be good for you. That is right; stress, to some extent, can be good for you. It can keep you alert and motivated. But, if you get too stressed out, situations take a turn for the worst.
Stress can lead to depression, mood swings and in worst case scenario – suicide. That is why it is important to calm down. Take a break, enjoy the comforts of your bed and take a nap. If it helps, do some deep breathing exercises and/or eat a cake.

What are some factors that lead to stress?
“I literally can not give a definitive answer because there is literally something stressing me out in every corner of my life,” said Senior Rachel Banks.

“School because I’m trying to keep up my 4.0, science fair because my goal is to move on to State again this year and college because of all the scholarship stuff,” said Senior Leslie O’Neal.

“Being in many activities because they have so many schedules and sometimes they are close or at the same time,” said Freshman Maria Morales.

Other factors that can lead to stress are bullies, relationship problems, family issues at home and the future. Some can say that seniors are more stressed because they have to worry about scholarships and college choices. They are about to go out in the real world and experience the wonderful joys of being an “adult.” But did you know, studies have shown that girls experience more stress than boys?

Teenage girls encounter more “stressors” in life, especially in their interpersonal relationships, than boys — and they react more strongly to those pressures, accounting in part for their higher levels of depression, according to a study by the University of South Carolina. While the boys averaged 0.50 interpersonal stressors a week, the girls averaged one — about twice as many. In another survey conducted by the Associated Press and MTV, they discovered that of the 85% of students claiming they experienced “stress at least sometimes”(if not more than that), most were female. Forty-five percent reported they felt it “frequently,” compared to 32% of their male colleagues.

Everyone feels stress. Some more than others, but it is a part of life. For better or for worse, through sickness and through health. Until death do we part.